Friday, August 3, 2012

Liliuokalani's Retort

So I threw a big Tiki party at the beginning of the summer.  There was a pig roast, and me working the bar all night making a menu of my favorite tiki drinks.  It was months of planning, and days of preparation, and after that I was tiki'd out!  For a while at least...

But it occurred to me tonight.  It's summer!  And while crustas and old fashions are great, perhaps they're better suited for cooler weather.  So I decided to impromptu a quick tiki drink, and it turned out great!  So great, I wanted to share it with the world.  Whenever I so happen to combine the exact perfect ratios of ingredients together, that a drink deems itself worthy of sharing with others, I always turn to my girlfriend for naming help.  After a quick back and forth she came up with "Liliuokalani's Retort."  She asserted that after someone got sassy or biting with Queen Liliuokalani, the queen quickly retorted with this delicious drink.  That's the story I'm sticking with at least.  Alright, enough talk, here's the drink...

1 1/2 ounces Smith and Cross rum (or any good traditional style rum.  I'm sure Wray and Nephews would be a wonderful sub.)
1 ounce Ron Matusalem Rum 15 year (or any other great aged rum you like)
1 ounce lime juice
1 ounce orange juice
3/4 ounces Pineapple Gomme Syrup*
1/2 ounce Allspice Dram

Pour in blender and fill with ice.  Blend quickly for no more than 5 seconds.  Pour all into the tiki mug of your choosing!  ENJOY!



*To make Pineapple Gomme Syrup.  Mix one cup pineapple juice (freshly squeezed is preferable) to one cup of sugar (I prefer raw or demerara sugar) and 1tsp of gum arabic.  Whisk over low heat until all sugar and gum arabic is dissolved.  Skim off the top.  Then strain and bottle.  Feel free to add a bit of rum to help preserve longer.  Store in fridge.  The gum arabic is optional though it gives it a nice thick consistency which makes for a nice mouth-feel in drinks.  Cheers!

1 comment: