Sunday, August 11, 2013

Cocktail Journal: Entry #1

I saw some creme de cacao.  So it all started with the chocolate.  I knew right away that I wanted to play with brandy.  Getting into some spirits that I ignore sometimes.  But I've been thinking south america today.  Lately.  The other day I made a drink with a 1:1 Cognac/Cachaca 2 ounce base.  It was great.  Today, let's do a Tequila.  But something darker, where the chocolates come out.  The toffee that tequila can be.  No citrus.  Let's keep it an old fashioned.  I thought of chartreuse to bring out the chocolate.  those flavors go crazy together.  Chartreuse is in the other room...

shit...

There's that bottle of strega that i never use.  BAM.

1 ounce Cognac
1 ounce anejo tequila
1/4 ounce creme de cacao
1/4 ounce strega

it needs something to bring it all together.

Cardamom?

heavy dose of cardamom bitters.  Stir.  strain.  orange peel?  yes.

This lead me to thinking of making this simpler.  Things to try in the future?

1 ounce cognac
1 ounce anejo tequila
1/4-1/2 ounce creme de cacao
2-4 dashes cardamom bitters.

Strega's so great.  I should just make a strega swizzle:

1 ounce strega
1 ounces reposado tequila
1 ounces pineapple juice
3/4 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce falernum

That sounds good right?  Might be good.  They're up next i guess!

-Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment