Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Best Year



Apparently The Best Year was 1975, because that's when this drink was created.  I got this one out of my favorite Tiki drink book "Bechbum Berry Remixed," by the master himself Beachbum Berry.  You should definitely check out any and all of his books if you enjoy a tropical libation or three.  POW!  See what I did there?  Here we go...

3 Ounces unsweetened pineapple juice (fresh juiced from a real live pineapple is always the best fyi)

3/4 ounce Licor 43

3/4 ounce blue Curacao (normally I'm against things like super sweet artificially colored liqueurs, but hey....it was the 70's you know?  Though I am known to use a high quality orange curaçao and vegetable based blue food dye as a blue curaçao substitute)

3/4 ounce Rose's lime juice cordial (making your own lime cordial is fun too.  I'll do a write up on that at some point.  The short answer though is it's Lime syrup but you want to simmer the lime zest with the juice and sugar, etc)

2 1/4 ounce vodka (now here is where I personally change the drink.  I hate vodka.  It disappears in cocktails, and I like my spirit to have a little more of a "hey, howya doin ;-)" attitude.  So instead I use a good white rum like Cruzan.)

8 ounces (1 cup) crushed ice

Now put everything in the blender.   Blend for a good 30 seconds, and poor unstrained into a glass of your choice.  I liked this ridiculous Hurricane glass I had laying around.  Now put on some Doobie Brothers and you're good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment